Seventh grade student essay contest applicants, please choose one of these three quotes from Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring and explain what it means to you:
- Quote 1: “By acquiescing in an act that can cause such suffering to a living creature, who among us is not diminished as a human being?”
- Quote 2: “Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.”
- Quote 3: “In nature, nothing exists alone.”
Scoring: Essays will be judged by the Wells Reserve at Laudholm Education Advisory Committee, using a point scale based on the following criteria: creativity, heart, style, punctuation/spelling, and clarity. Remember, your essay must consist of your own thoughts and words.
Grand prize: iPad
- First place: Digital camera
- Second place: Binoculars
- Third place: Gift certificate to a local bookstore
Deadline: December 1, 2012. Winners will be notified by December 14, 2012.
Pictured are Nick Prato, the Grand Prize winner, along with Mrs. Newick, his 7th grade Social Studies teacher. Nick chose Quote 3 for his essay. Congratulations Nick!